Saturday, December 29, 2007

Saturday, Christmas stuff all safely put away, tree and all. And New Years stuff is up now! Phew! : ) And cookie baking too! : )


Bright and early this morning, while the kids were still snug in their beds. Noboru and I were outside in the front yard, taking down all the Christmas lights. My hands were as cold as 2 blocks of ice. Even with gloves on them. I got the Christmas wreath from the front door and packed it all away into the attic. Took all the garland down. Held the sides of the ladder so my hubby didn't fall down and kill himself, ha ha ha. And then we were done. I ran to the store while he stayed with the boys, who were still in a deep snooze. I went to a local DIY to buy some New years things. A very small and understated thing for the door. I coulda bought a bigger one, I gather, but nah. This was enough, it was fine. And I bought these 2 small little other things. They were made with real pine needles or whatever they are. But they smelled great. Although living in the country side, it always smells fresh and stuff anyway. But I brought these home. Noboru liked them and I placed them outside. Now all the neighbors can see we are indeed ready for New years! : ) I also spent an hour cleaning the house. In Japan it is custom to clean your house from top to bottom right before the new year. My house is already clean. Floors always mopped and such. However this week sometime, I did reorganized my food pantry. But today, Saturday, I didn't have much end of the year cleaning to do, so I vacuumed my entire downstairs again and entire upstairs again. Swooshed the toilets, for the 3rd time this week. And I Windexed the windows. The back patio windows really needed it, there were many tiny little finer prints all over them, hmmm. I wonder who made those? Ha ha ha. Two guesses? Wink! But I cleaned them really good, the friendly neighbor lady/granny waved to me as she cleaned her house for New years, she was beating and whacking the bejesus out of her futon out in her backyard and I waved to her in return, while I was cleaning my back patio windows, ha ha ha. And then I was done. Not even noon yet and I was done, with the Christmas decorations and tree. And the New years stuff was up. And the New years cleaning was done as well. We lazed around all afternoon.

For the front door! Very small and simple. : )

And two of these! Again really simple and understated! But again, respecting both traditions, both my American culture and the Japanese culture for the hubby and for the kids. So, I am happy we did this for New years! I asked Noboru what he would like to do for New years. Since going back to Osaka was out of the question, since he has to work January 1st. I told him, anyway he wants to celebrate it, we should do it! : ) Does he want to go to the temple? That's fine with me, I've gone once before for new years eve and rung the new year that way once. Whatever he wants to do, whatever he wants to eat. Just say the word. His reply? He doesn't care what he eats. He doesn't want to go the the shrine because, he says it would be too crowded and too cold for the kids. But he said he has to watch his favorite Japanese New year eve shows that have been around since before he was born. I said, sure. So, come New years eve, we will be watching non stop Japanese shows. : )

After lazing around for a few hours on the couch in the living room with the family on Saturday. Around 4:00 pm, after Noah went down for a nap. I asked Branden to come in the kitchen with me and let's bake some chocolate chip pecan cookies. I had bought this package of choco chips when we bought the ham from FBC a while back, I have been hoarding them in my pantry for over a month now, and I have been dying to bake up a batch and now with the Christmas cookies long gone. I figured it was the perfect time to whip these up! Branden agreed! : )

Branden stirred himself silly, meanwhile I chopped up the pecans! : )

Fresh from the oven and cooling a bit before I put them on a plate.

Yum, chocolate chip pecan cookies! Perfect for a nice lazy Saturday! : )

Also we are having yakiniku tonight, from the afternoon, I sliced up the chicken. And marinated it with this bottle of a miso based yakiniku sauce, a bit spicy and so good. I also had the beef marinating in the fridge too. For about 4 hours. After the rice was cooked, and the veggie was steamed. And the huge lettuce leaves were washed and cleaned for wrapping our meats. I started frying up the beef in one plate and the chicken in another.

I guess, I shoulda used a grill, but for lazy nights like these, when I just want it super simple. And I don't wanna soak my grill afterwards for hours or whatever. I just used a frying pan. It was quick and the pan was wiped off since it's non stick and then I tossed it in the dish washer. So it was a very simple dinner. We wrapped beef in lettuce. And wrapped chicken in lettuce with rice inside. And had kimchee on the side or stuffed into the lettuce leaves. It was a good filling dinner. Kids had 2 cookies for dessert each. And I had a cup of hot coffee and a cookie for dessert and Noboru had the same. I showered up first and soaked in the tub, and then Noboru came in with the boys, he washed both the boys and we all talked and had a good laugh while they all got cleaned up. We all put on some fresh jammies and went downstairs. Seems 2007 is winding down. I did all that I was supposed to do. The Christmas decos are down and the tree is down too. The New years cards were all properly sent off in a timely fashion, phew! : ) House is sparkly clean and ready to face the new year as well. Nothing left to do, except enjoy the next couple days. Kick back and relax a bit! Good night! : )