Monday, February 12, 2007

Yakitori obento and the ol' "my heart will go on cream stew", lol the pre- Valentine's edition! : )


Okay I didn't get a chance to show this pic last week because I was just too busy, but I really thought it came out pretty cool. It was very simple, pretty easy. The night before I cut up one skinless chicken breast. Stuck it on the 2 cheap little skewers I got from the 100 yen shop. Boy I love the 100 yen shop, in Japan, they have the best stuff! : ) I marinated them with some yakitori sauce and covered them in a Tupperware dish in the fridge until morning. When morning rolled around, I slowly pan fried them with a tiny bit of olive oil in a pan. They were done pretty quickly. The veggie skewer, I got a few frozen broccoli florets from the freezer. Sliced some carrot and used my shape slicer and sliced 3 flower shaped carrots and I lightly boiled/steamed them. Not all falling apart mushy like. Just firm but cooked. I buttered and salted them and again I skewered them along. Kids do like eating stuff from skewers or as B says, from *sticks* lol. I laid the yakitori and steamed veggies on a bed of white rice. He also had mikan and jellies. A simple, and healthy lunch! : )

Well, with Monday Feb 12th being a holiday here in Japan. And with Feb 14th the actual day of Valentine's day being a half day at B's school, I wanted to do a few Valentine's themed lunches this week anyways. So since I can't do one for Wednesday, I made one today. The day before. And I will be making one for the day after Valentine's day as well! Okay, we all know how nerdy and excited I get around all the holidays, lol! Today was so totally easy. And again cheap as chips! He didn't have anything he usually doesn't have. With the exception of how I presented it. I bought some little shaped metal tins from the 100 yen store. You get 2 different size hearts in 1 package for just 100 yen! I also have the star shape as well. So I sent him with the basic cream stew. Leftovers from the night before. I also put rice underneath the stew, just a bit. And I sent him with a cheese quesadilla (sp?), some fresh mikan and some jellies. And by the why, I always naturally want to call them jello-s. Until I hear the other mom's at the yochien/school call them jellies and I remind myself, right, jellies not jello! Ha ha ha! : )

A close-up of the heart shaped stew, ha ha ha! I think these containers are actually supposed to be used to bake tiny cakes or something. But when I saw them, I thought...presto! I can use that to shape my child's lunch! Ha ha ha! : )