Friday, February 24, 2006

The ol' agreeable head nod

You know, I think I'm coming down with a cold. I can't afford to get sick though, because I'm the mom, the one who is the care giver, not the one who gets taken care of. Ha ha ha. Nothing major right now, just a scratchy throat. Let's cross our fingers it passes.

I haven't seen a foreigner around where I live at all. Which is sorta sad in a way. Where I lived before, I lived near many good American or foreign girlfriends. But here, not a single one because there just aren't any around here, well except myself. : )

Also, sorry to change the subject but, I noticed that I have the habit of shaking my head at Japanese people, when they are talking to me even though, I have absolutely no idea of what they are talking about. Case in point, my door just rang. I looked through the intercom and didn't want to answer it, but I ended up answering it, since Branden blew my cover of being quiet in the house. He was giggling right near the door saying, "are they gone yet?" gee whiz could Branden get anymore obvious then *that*? We were trying to be quiet (shhh) and sneaky and *not* answer the door. So, anyway, I just answered it, I figured with our cover fully blown, I might as well. It was some lady with a Duskin catalog. I'm assuming she was selling stuff? And from the minute I answered the door she was speaking, a mile a minute. I smiled and just shook my head in agreement with her. Quite a few times, I might add! After she left, I wondered, what if she said something outrageous, such as....."I'm really a robber and I've just robbed your neighbors house" and there I would be shaking my head, "okay, okay!"

Isn't that just crazy? I'm sure I'm not the only foreigner, who does this in Japan. I think in a way it's better for me to just agree, even though I secretly don't know what I'm agreeing to. Then to say, "geeze I'm a dumbass, and I don't understand a word coming outta your mouth" . Making a mental note to self, I must learn more Japanese!