Saturday, April 07, 2018

We're leaving tomorrow...

Noah had been receiving little messages his final week of school, from his classmates. Noah was so liked and loved from his classmates. The one in pink ends with..."my best friend" That was absolutely from his very best friend. And after graduation day... the gang of freshly graduated 6th grade boys would ring our doorbell every morning to play with Noah. They came to play every single morning, until the day of Noah's classmates entrance ceremony for Chugakko/JHS. Noah had a lot of good friends. For that, he was so very lucky. 
This letter really "got me"..."Noah, thank you for 6 years, it was a short time being with you, but it was fun. It's sad that we cannot go to the same chugakko, but I will be cheering you on from Japan. Good luck in America"
The day of the actual graduation. 3 received flowers. The teacher received flowers. And Noah received flowers. And the other boy who is not moving, but instead he will attend a different JHS in Japan. Only 2 kids from our local elementary school are not attending the local chugakko, Noah because he is moving to the United States. And another little boy, because he will go to a chugakko in Ibaraki. The rest will all stay together... at the local one and only chugakko in our tiny town. Graduation day....Everyone wore their JHS uniforms. Except for Noah, he wore a gray suit. A slim cut one and he looked so...super fly. Everyone commented on the day of the graduation, how absolutely cool Noah looked. His hair was all nicely done. Noah, truly dazzled on graduation day and because everyone else wore dark navy (local JHS) or black (Ibaraki JHS) and Noah wore medium gray, it was hard not to keep all eyes on Noah, the day of graduation. Even other parents mentioned that too.
Because Noah is moving to America, everyone in Noah's class made this special project for him. It's a hard material. with everyone writing...a favorite memory or...wishing him luck in America. Pictures of the class together. This was so cool. Noah can look back on this keepsake, years from now and remember how truly amazing his classmates in Japan were. 
Because the day Noah graduated it was raining. All grades stood in the hallway, as the 6th graders walked passed and gave them all "five" as they passed. So many of the younger grade kids were crying. So much picture taking. This was after the graduation ceremony. Then us parents and kids went back to the gymnasium to take pics. And as we were about to take a group photo...the ichinensei sensei/the first grade teacher came running into the gym with a little boy ichinensei...shouting..."Noah-kun....Noah-kun" And the photographer stopped... we all stopped smiling and posing. And she apologized. And in front of the entire graduating class....the little boy held these highlighters in his hand and he and his mom made this gift bag espeically for Noah. The first grader started crying, because well... he's only 6 years old, but he said as he cried..."Noah-kun you were the nicest to me, during my first year at shogakko"."I will never forget you"..everyone the entire graduating class and parents all stood and listened. I started to get watery eyes. Noah went over and thanked and hugged the boy. And the first grade sensei walked him out of the gym. Seriously, you guys?!!! How amazing....to have such an affect on someone. You are a good egg Noah. But...we always knew that. : ) 
Branden. His classmates made him this photo album. Each and every page is freakin' amazing. The teacher gave Branden a picture in a frame of the 3 ichinensei boy/male high schoolers. 10th grade high schoolers. Branden received so many letters too and 2 mechanical pencils from classmates and treats too. 

Each little envelop has another message for Branden from his classmates and friends. Again the amount of time spent to make this. It just made me realize how loved and liked my kids were in Japan. 
As for me, my doorbell hasn't stopped ringing either. Gifts from my friends. People who I was in the kodomokai with, PTA with. And just friends/parents who we... clicked well with. Yes, we did have a good life in Japan. We were extremely... well thought of. Well liked. And we will most definitely be missed. And we will miss you all too. So much. 

We went and got me a 5 year re-entry permit. This is so... that I won't lose my permanent residency. Because I am a permanent resident of Japan. As long as Noboru is in Japan, I will keep my residency here (paperwork-wise). This 5 year re-entry means I don't have to come back to Japan within 12 months. Because if I didn't have a re-entry, then I would risk losing my permanent residency, if I couldn't make it back to Japan by next April.  Though, I am planning to come back to Japan this coming July. But again, you never know. 
I have nicely stored all my kids special clothes in our attic.The other good stuff, I gave to friends with younger kids, as my kids outgrew them. Our attic is now empty now. We painstakingly went through everything. I told the kids, they could keep only 1 box worth each. And to keep only their most special items. They also saved all their artwork, school work and stuff in 1 art folder. 

Why has my blog been so quiet? One day we threw out 20 bags of trash. It pains me to call it trash, but you know what I mean. And another day... we tossed about 15 bags. Noah's room is bare, with just a bed and a nightstand with a lamp. Bran's is the same. 
No more magnets. It doesn't look like a family or little kids live here anymore. : (  And after tomorrow, that will be true.

Anyway...the house is now decluttered and done. Noah has 1 huge plastic shell suitcase and so does Branden. They hold their clothes, their swimming trophies. Noah's stack of running medals. Their report cards, which are needed to enroll in school in the states as well as their immunization records. Their most important things that were special they're bringing. They've all said their good-byes. We plan to come back to Japan in July, like I said and bring/lug back more stuff to the US. Either that or Noboru will come to us in July. Either way, the stuff we need to bring is in a plastic clear container marked...KEEP. And Noboru will either pack it into a suitcase or we'll fly back and bring it ourselves. And as soon as Noboru gets his green card, he will move to the US too. Could be as soon as 6 months and as long as 18 months.

Ohhhh....I also wanted to mention. Branden's JHS classmates messaged Branden. They said we heard you're moving, they all keep in touch. They all got together for a "good bye" dinner for Branden at a nabe place in the little city nearest our town. That was last week. They also made Branden a photo album too. It was amazing. These friendships and ties... that my kids have with their friends, will be everlasting. Meaning they will see each other. For surely when Branden hits age 20, he'll come back to our town on "Coming of Age Day" And I'm sure when Genki gets married, Branden will be there, cheering and clapping. And when Branden gets married to his future wife...I am sure Genki will be there too, cheering and clapping too. So these friendships will be a lasting one, I know.

Anyway...as I said, we fly out tomorrow. We have to find us a place to live. Find me a car. I have to get an American drivers license ASAP. Get car insurance. Get the phone, cable, and internet turned on. Take both Branden and Noah to their future school's and pre-register them and get them their assessment tests done. That way come the Fall semester, they'll be ready. Noboru has 3 weeks off work, to help us get settled. Tonight I will pack up my computer. My external hard drive.... the thing that holds all my family's pictures will be in my carry-on. So, if you don't hear from me in like 1 week or 2 weeks. All is fine. We're just creating our new home and place over there.

On a personal note. These past 2 weeks, have been insanely busy. Stress level on a scale of 1-10. They've been about a 12, almost every single day. But right now....now that all the busy... is frankly done. Now that....we're all packed. We've said all our good-byes. My stress level is a 1. My happiness level is a 12. I'm ready. I feel so content right now. I'm *so* at peace right now. I can't even fathom how lucky I am... to be getting this chance to move back to my home country. No more having to stock up my suitcase. To lug stuff back to Japan. Target and Safeway everyday now... if I want to. And yes...sometimes *it is* those little things that count the most of all and finally after 15 years. Everything will finally, be at my finger tips anytime I want now, wow. And it's so freaking surreal. And I'm just being 100% real and honest here. And yeah...I'm so happy. And I'm so ready. So good-bye for now. I will catch up with you all. Not sure when. But you know me...I will catch up... as soon as the time allows. So just be patient and understanding. Thanks for continuing to take this journey with me.