Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Branden's observation day! : )

Yesterday was Branden's observation day! He just had one in January and I'd be darned if they didn't have another one yesterday as well. Hmm, I think his school really over does these observation days. ; ) Usually you can show up at anytime during the whole day.But yesterday it was at a set time. All parents had to show at 1:30 and stay for the hour. Noah gets out of yochien at 1:45pm. And since I can't be at 2 places at once. ; ) I let the sensei know in the morning that Noah would have to get out early, at 1pm. She said that was okay. And so at 1pm yesterday I went and picked up Noah and we zoomed to the elementary school. The parking lot was full. Packed to the gills would be more like it. I parked like the 2nd to last of the last rows. ; ) And we walked up the hill and made it to the elementary school. 10 minutes to spare. Us parents stood in the hall. All the pictures and stories the kids did since their birth were hanging in the hall. remember they wrote this in January, how they were at age 1, where were they born, how they were at age 2 and so on. Anyway the whole class had theirs hanging. I chatted with Genki-kun's mom and Saya-chan's mom. And then it was time to enter the classroom. So, Noah and I went in. They were doing or showcasing math for us parents. The teacher said, they had 200 yen of pretend money and they had to buy pretend stuff and it had to equal exactly 200 yen, no more no less. That is not the Yuka-sensei pictured, that's the math teacher. The Yuka-sensei was someplace else in the class when I snapped this picture. : ) The math teacher was pretending to be the shopkeeper hence the scarf on her head and cash register near her. ; )
Hmm, what did the kids buy. ; ) The kids changed/switched seats a few weeks ago. Branden is now sitting next to the "boy next door" I helped Branden with his. And I also helped the "boy next door"quite a bit too. His mom has 2 kids at the elementary school. An ichinensei little boy and a ninensei boy, "the boy next door". And she was in the class with "boy next door's" little brother and so "the boy next door" was sorta winging it alone. He's a very good sweet kid and so, I watched him add up and he had 186 yen and I counted with him and said he needed 14 yen worth of stuff left. I asked him to go see if he could find something that equalled 14 yen. And he did. And I gave him a big thumbs up. And he got all happy and he went and showed the math teacher. So, I helped both of the boys with their shopping math task yesterday. I felt pretty happy, I could help out. There was a whole school meeting after observation day and then a class meeting afterward that. With the end of the school year fast approaching. We had a lot of questions. The main #1 question that was on every one's mind including mine. Was who will be the 3rd grade teacher? You see, the Yuka-sensei was our teacher for the 1st and also the 2d grade. She knows our kids so well. She's so caring and kind to all our kids. Branden just loves her. She is an amazing special teacher. When we found out she would be our kids 2nd grade teacher last year I think we all breathed a huge sigh of relief. And this year, we sort of knew it would be a different teacher. Yesterday we all asked and the Yuka-sensei told us this in Japanese. "I know, I am not going to be teaching the 3rd grade class" (meaning she will not be their teacher this year, huge crushing bummer) Another mother said..."then who?" And the Yuka-sensei said, I don't know who it will be. Or if they'll mix you all up with the ninensei #1 class or what. Anyway, we really won't know who the new 3rd grade teacher will be. Or if Genki and "the boy next door" will still be in Branden's class this coming year or not. Hmmm. We'll just have to wait and see. : ) I left with Branden and Noah. We went home. B played in the neighborhood with friends after school. Noah played on the jungle gym after he changed his clothes and I started in on making dinner. Anyway that was yesterdays observation class for Branden. His last one for ninensei, I'm sure. : )