My hubby's grass is bright green isn't it? : )Anyway, so Sunday my family and I headed to the grocery store. Just to get only 2 days worth of food and stuff (not a weeks worth, because we are leaving soon). This is a silly shot of my leg stepping on his grass. Today I wore, a black 3/4 length sleeve, ballet neck, black fitted Gap top. Army green gauchos and black and white polka dot ballet flats, with matching polka dot head band, wavy shoulder length hair. And a flat Prada bag diagonally across my body. In hand, was my list to mark things off, as I cruised the aisles of the store. I saw 3 other foreign women in the store today. All of them were alone shopping. One was by herself, the other 2 were with their Japanese hubby's. It's rare to see a foreigner around here. However I was about 30 minutes from where I live, so maybe more live around there, I don't know. Funny thing is, as I passed one, they stared. I smiled. Neither of us said anything. I sure did smiled though. Dork, that I am! Figures I give a cheesy nerd grin! However they scowled or didn't look too friendly. Do you smile when you see a fellow foreigner in Japan? Or do you avoid eye contact? It's always a tough call isn't it? On one hand, I don't wanna assume they speak English. Not everyone in the world does and I know and respect that. And I do wanna respect other peoples privacy when shopping too. So, I usually won't walk right up and talk to my fellow gaijin either. However, I will always smile at least. Sigh, again tough call. : )
Peach tea was obviously on sale today, ha ha ha. It's usually 100 yen at my store, pretty typical price, I guess. (for my family in the US, that's about 1 dollar) but today it was 78 yen each (and no it wasn't old, it doesn't even expire until November 1st). So anyway, I got 4. The one on the left, obviously is the one just opened. It's not very sweet and I like it with a bunch of ice in a glass.
Does your husband, eat stinky things like these? Noboru loves these. They are pickled squid. They smell really fishy/seafoody and really vinegary too. Every time Branden sees Noboru eat these he says, "daddy stop eating Squidward"!!!! Ha ha ha. If you are a parent and your kid watches Spongebob, you'll know who he means! Ha ha ha. : ) In any case my husband can't resist these stinky treats and he loads up on his squid treats weekly. Yikes! : )
I was really dying to eat chicken chow mein tonight. I fried up some chicken breast meat, and sprinkled some salt and pepper on it as the meat cooked.
Chopped up my veggies. All while listening to a 70's CD, I burned. Yes I certainly did do the hustle in between my cook time. And my sons came into the kitchen to shake their booties with me from time to time. Noboru meanwhile watched TV and waited for dinner. : ) "Ahhhhh freak out. Le freak, say chic!" Ha ha ha! Bonks self! : )
After the chicken was cooked and brown, I added my veg. Hardest to softest. Carrots and bell peppers went in first. And stir fried them with the chicken a bit.
Chinese cabbage and mushroom went in last. Again fried it a bit. I didn't ever add any extra oil since when I added the first with the chicken in the very beginning.
These are the crunchy noodles I like best. 2 per pack, so since my family has 4 people in it, we buy 2 packs of these. And the sauce packets comes inside the pack of noodles. And it's the base of my chow mein.
I mixed the base with water and poured it in. Boiled it up. Added a bit of soy sauce/shoyu and a bit of sesame oil for extra flavor and in 10 minutes after everything hit a nice hot boil, it was ready.
An ugly picture to end with, sorry. I forgot to take a pic. And after I already started eating, is when I remembered to take a pic. Whoopsies. : ) So what do we have here? A bed of rice, next to a bed of crunchy noodles hiding under a good sized helping of chicken chow mein. It was pretty quick. Quite healthy. And really good for a Sunday night. What did we do this weekend? We spent it at home, doing the same ol' same ol'. Video rental at night. The boys played their hearts out in the backyard both Saturday and Sunday afternoon. And basically just laid low. Enjoying ourselves hanging home! Being lazy bums! : )