Well if this isn't a clear sign my child indeed goes to school in Japan, then I don't don't know what and I love it! Ha ha ha! Branden brought home these art projects yesterday and it immediately hit me. Gosh, he really is going to school in Japan. Point made crystal and happily clear by the art project, ha ha ha! In the US, kids would come home with art project of turkey's made from a child's hand traced onto paper cut outs in the month of November or pumpkin art shapes in October or a whole bag full of Valentines cards from all our classmates in the month of February. That is the stuff I remember when I think of school. Meanwhile my wonderful little guy brings me home sushi and various Japanese winter time things! It actually warmed my heart! I loved it more then all the gobbles gobbles and pumpkins I ever made. I've never seen stuff like this and I found it so so so cute! I told Branden, "honey, you made me sushi?" He said yes I did. I asked him the names of each one (yes I knew the names already, but he got excited telling me : ) and he answered. I said what a very nice ebi you made and the egg with nori looks exactly real!!! I got the biggest kick out of this! Even now while I am typing this I am smiling ear to ear! Yup, sushi art work! I love it! And I'm so glad my kids are going to school in Japan. The art work alone is worth it! : )
Today, no obento was required and let me explain why! The entire yochien classes (the 3-4 age class and the 4-5 age class, which is B's class and the 5-6 age class are all making Japanese style curry. Last week, everyone had to bring something. Everyone in the entire school had to bring a tiny bag of rice each. Plus the younger class had to bring 1 onion each. Branden's class had to bring 1 carrot each and the bigger class had to bring 1 potato each, ha ha ha! The teachers were bringing the beef and curry roux. This is happening as part of a good-bye lunch for the older class that will be starting elementary school when April comes and also part of a teaching thing to help the kids learn to prepare a meal by themselves of course with plenty of teacher supervision and help! So on Monday, which was yesterday, the younger class chopped up their onions. The oldest class peeled and chopped up their potatoes and Branden and the rest of his class peeled their carrots with peelers and the teachers helped them. The whole school got involved and Branden had so much fun yesterday! When my dad and I picked him up yesterday fromt he bus stop, he was talking a million miles a minute, saying how he peeled carrots and they made curry and he even got to stir the pot, lol! And today which is Tuesday, is the day the entire school will be eating the curry they all actually made themselves! So, no obento required today like I said. But the note the school sent home to us parents said. Bring a plastic plate, which I just sent one of his regular plates he uses here at the house. They also said to bring a bigger deeper spoon, so I sent him with one of the ol' Thomas ones. And I also sent him with 2 wet towelettes, just in case ha ha ha. And 1 paper napkin, and I felt badly it said happy birthday on it but that is all I had and I figured nobody really would care at the school anyway. Also, the meds are just because he had a tiny pinch of an ear ache last week. He's fine now, of course but he still has 2 days of his meds left. So anyway, Branden will be enjoying curry with the rest of his school today! : )