Well since even though I personally prefer the plastic obento boxes regardless of the time of year it is. But since it's the rule here at our school. Then I will follow it. The only main issue of the metal obento that has been driving me nuts is the tiny size. So, I went online this afternoon before Branden got home and while Noah was napping. And had a look on Yahoo.jp auctions. Because they have some amazing stuff. Btw, our DVD player totally died 2 weeks ago, I forgot to mention it because we just went on Yahoo.jp auctions and bought a brand new one for like 3,000 yen (US $30.00) and it's a region free model, so we were happy and it got here within 2 days, so I guess that's why I never mentioned it...it was just so easy I barely remembered, ha ha ha and the price was affordable too.
So anyway back to the obento saga. If I drive clear out to the nearest Toy R us, which for me living in the country side, the closest one is like a 50 minute drive each way, totally sucks basically. And if they were out of stock or something, It would be a total waste, know what I mean? So a lot of time for me, it's easier, no gas money is spent and I can browse from store to store on yahoo auctions and find it the cheapest and buy it. Also, I don't have to get in a bidding war, either because they have the ..."buy me now price", that's how I got my DVD player with that "buy me now" price as well.
So I originally wanted a metal Spongebob ovbento box. And clearly they don't have them this season. maybe next year, because Spongebob is getting more popular all the time in Japan....we can only hope! However they had Disney Cars metal obento box and Branden likes that movie a lot. So I bought that. Get this...it's a 280 ml. Yup, a pinch smaller, I know. But since they seem to make them this tiny and there's no way in changing that. I will just send him off to school with 2. Ha ha ha! It'll work. Well, unless they complain, but then I'll have to think of another plan. But until then, I think this will work!
So, today I bought online at Yahoo.jp...
1 Disney "Cars" plastic cup for taking to school for drinking his ocha
1 "Cars" cup bag, and this comes with a toothbrush and toothbrush pocket as well, this is perfect because they brush their teeth after lunch
1 "Cars" luncheon mat...err that's what they are called in Japanese, they are like big cotton handkerchiefs they eat on.
1 "Cars", fork, spoon and ohashi set
1 "Cars" metal tiny obento box
The total was 2500 yen about $25.00 US. So not terribly bad and everything is brand *brand* new and still in the packages of course and actually cheaper then if I would have ran to Toys R Us! Just by a few bucks, but still, a saving is a saving! And seriously 5 obento things for just 2500 yen isn't really so bad, you know! : ) And the boys in his class are really into "Cars" right now. I know because Sio-kun (this is a kid who goes to the same Catholic school and swim school as Branden and in western, alphabet this boys Japanese names spells out a name that sounds like Sean, he's Japanese but his mom liked the name that looked readable to westerners, ha ha ha) anyway Sio/Sean has Cars stickers on his swimming folder and everyone was coveting his stickers, Branden included, ha ha ha! Meanwhile Branden has "Cars" undies and the other boys liked his Cars undies, lol (kids) when they all got changed in the dressing room at swim school and the other mom's and I were all laughing about it! So I imagine his cars winter obento utensils will be coming in handy and be very popular. And we should be getting them by next Monday. So anyway...hopefully the obento size problem will get itself all worked out soon, now that we will have a total of 2 metal ones. : )
!->