I was just wondering if any of you western women living in Japan have noticed that many Japanese women (but to be fair, not all) tend to, oh what's the word. Strain their voices? No maybe that's not the word. Hmm, anyway they sorta try to sound really child like. Like they are really little tiny girls, like around 3-6 years old maybe. Sounding almost like they have been sucking on helium almost in many cases. Whether I am watching Japanese television and hear many Japanese TV personalities do this. Or whether I am just out and about in Japan, I hear many Japanese women make their voices 5 octaves higher, then their voices probably actually really are!
I watch a lot of TV and many movies. I love TV shows and movies from the UK and America. And I can tell you, I have never heard a western women sound like this or do this thing with their voice. Even Marilyn did more of a sultry type voice not the ...I've been sucking on 20 helium balloons type voice we get here in Japan.
And not all Japanese women who strain their voices like this are cute little Japanese ladies like you'd think either! I've seen like Japanese women in their mid 50's with a punch perm, smoking a ciggie, skin looks so tan, it's practically orange and sun beaten, and looks like she'd been around the block about a billion times, yet she sounded like an 8 year old girl with a smidgen of Marge Simpsons' raspy voiced smoke-aholic sister's voice mixed in here and there! Yikes!!!!
You know, when I went to the salon a few weeks back. I sat in the back as the shampoo girl washed my hair. Meanwhile I heard this tiny little peep of a voice from the front of the salon. I can usually tell if it's an adult Japanese lady just doing that *thing* with her voice. However this time, I was totally fooled. At first I thought that helium type voice was from one of my kids? Did Noboru swing by the salon with the kids to tell me something? Maybe they were heading fishing or something? I picked up my head and looked to where the tiny little kid voice was coming from. And sure enough, to my surprise this time, it was a grown Japanese women talking!
!->