

Here's Branden this afternoon after school! In Japan, the school's have "winter uniform's" and also they have "summer uniform's", this is obviously the winter uniform. Branden also wears a tailored type navy blue blazer as well as part of his winter uniform.
Depending on the yochien you go to, the uniform varies quite a bit! The last yochien we went to, the uniform was very laid back and you could wear your own sneakers. And the uniform was pull on navy blue cheap polyester pants and a sweatshirt. Very comfy and very nice and basic and easy for us mom's to wash! Ha ha ha, I really liked the uniform at the last school! Now this school he's going to now and by the uniform, I'm showing to you in the pics above. Obviously you can tell by the strict dress code (plain *only*white socks allowed and no characters on the sock etc) and the styling of this uniform and very hard to wash fibers grrr, and the school approved navy blue slip on shoes that the kids *must* wear to and from school (roll's eyes with all these rules, ha ha ha) The very simple navy blue colors, plus the style of uniform is a real give away that Branden is going to more of a prep school type yochien. Sigh! Yup, it's definitely a shi shi poo poo type school. But we chose it because it's Catholic and not at all because of the shi shi poo poo factor at all. In fact my husband and I hate stuff like that...lol. We actually didn't even really know the reputation of the school, until after we enrolled him! In the small town we live, when we go and do after school errands many people point at my son in his uniform. We hear them muttering...blah blah yochien! It's unfortunately a bad rap that is not deserved at all! Because most of the mom's and kids at this school are so normal and very nice!And the fact that they bus to where we live and the fact that he gets along famously with all his teacher's and has tons of friends, is why we like this school. I am used to washing his uniform by now and it's easy now (even with the harder to wash fibers like the jacket and vest and whatnot) And even his obento problem has been solved, so all in all, it's okay! : ) So anyway, not very exciting I know, but I just thought many of you, not living in Japan might like to see what a Japanese winter yochien uniform looks like! Ha ha ha! : )
Oh yes and because many of you don't live in Japan or have kids in yochien *yet* how much does all this stuff cost? Well again it depends, the last school the more "normal" yochien , ha ha ha! The uniforms in total that we bought at the yochien itself cost us about $250.00. Yes and that's for 2 of everything basically, and yes you really need 2! Well except you don't need 2 hats or 2 backpacks or 2 smocks, you know what I mean. But you do need 2 pairs of pants because yes there will be times when they jump into the mud or get a food stain and the clothes need to be washed by the next day. I have a dryer, but most people don't and trust me, you need an extra pair of pants or an extra shirt. Because sometimes you're busy and can't get to the machine in enough time! 2 winter shirts, 2 summer shirts and etc. Now that was the last school.
The price for outfits at this school? The prep school, type school, he's going to now. Uniforms both winter and summer cost us about 56,000 yen! Yup about $560.00 US! Ridiculous or what? And ummm how long will this uniform last? Ha ha ha, depends on how fast your kid grows! If your kid jumps 2 or 3 sizes a year....I feel for you! Ha ha ha! I bought 2 of everything well except backpacks and hats and tailored jacket, he only needs one of those. But like 2 summer shorts and 2 winter shorts and 2 long sleeved shirts and 2 short sleeve shirts. Oh and this school also requires a *special* (roll's eyes again) gym outfit, oh yeah and you need long sleeve and short sleeve..ouch! I bought his shirts and tops and tailored blazer a size/pinch bigger. That way, hoping it would last a whole year! So anyhoo, just some insight for when, any of you living in Japan send your kids off to yochien!
Plus let's not forget all the yochien obento stuff! And the yochien bags you will surely have to make as well! But, I'll save that stuff for another post! Ha ha ha!
Also, when you enroll your kid in a yochien, you have to give money to the school. Every school requires it. Not sure if it's a gift money type thing like how when you move into a place in Japan or what. But the price is like a thousand dollars, I think. Let me ask Noboru the price and get back to you about it! But yes, the cost of yochien is definitely a lot more expensive then most people think!
Also, as I commented on another post somewhere down below, I forget where. But, Branden's Christmas recital is coming up soon. All of us were notified by the school that no one is allowed to bring their video cameras or digital cameras. That no taping by parents is allowed. Why? Because the school is going to start selling DVD's of the Christmas recital for 5,000 yen! This sorta pissed me off, because again, it's another hidden cost! Hidden costs are everywhere in yochien's! Noboru heard something, from a coworker that I remembered and I will tell you all. He said, aside from university, yochien is the most expensive time in your child's life in Japan! And frankly? I don't believe it....I know it! I know it to be true!
Also one more thing...each of parents of the yochien pay an additional 5,000 yen in winter to help pay their heating bill! Wtf? yup, I was shocked when I heard that! 5,000 yen/$50.00 US per kid in addition to our monthly fee of a couple hundred dollars! Absolutely ridiculous! Again, hidden costs are everywhere! Anyway, just thought this yochien stuff might be interesting for some of you! : )
Oyasumi nasai everyone! : )