Wednesday, September 27, 2006

So we spent the day in Utsunomiya.


I'm not quite sure if we actually had a typhoon or if it was a tropical storm or what, but it rained so much, I thought it was almost time for us to build an ark! Ha ha ha! With Branden out of school on Wednesday. We had planned to go to Costco! I've been wanting to go there for the past 6 weeks. However, Noboru managed to talk me into going to Utsunomiya. It would be a very far drive, about 3 hours each way! I was feeling really unsure about all this, but I didn't mind. As we were driving the rain got even worse. The roads were becoming mini lakes. We did finally get there, it turned out to be a really fun day! : )


Weren't the roads horrible? Branden, I might add, thought it was so cool driving through all this water! Kids!




My breakfast! We all stopped at a conbini. and got something. Branden got donuts and milk. Noah had donuts and his sippy cup! Ha. I had this steamed curry bun. And Noboru had an onigiri. We had no time to eat a real breakfast since the drive was going to be so long and so far away! I love curry buns and I also like the pizza ones too! : )

Seeing, Wendy's in the US, is no big deal. In fact you'd barely notice them or pay attention to them. But living in Japan, they are rare. So, we were in the car for about 2 hours at this point. We are all getting a bit hungry. And as we were driving past. I saw this free standing Wendy's with drive-thru nonetheless! I was thinking, is this a mirage? Nope, this was a real Wendy's! We turned the car around and got in line at the drive thru. Noah had the 100 yen chicken nuggets. Branden had a kids cheeseburger combo/set and shared his fries with Noah. And I had a single with cheese combo and Noboru had the same.


This town was the most unsual town, I've ever seen in Japan. They had 2 drive-thru Starbuck's! And a free standing Subway sandwich. And this Wendy's all with 10 minutes from eachother! It was really weird! Like a little American town. But in Japan! And I've been to drive-thru Starbucks in the US. And I've been to regular Starbucks in Japan but to see *2* drive-thru Starbucks in Japan? Shocking actually! Wow, seems Japan is getting more like the US all the time! Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing! But, it was definitely funny too see all of it and in such a close proximity from one another! : )


And, sorry, when we finally got to Utsunomiya, we were so happy to finally get out of the car after sitting in there all that time. That we left the car in such a big hurry that I forget my camera in the car! And we had walked quite far to where we parked! So no pics of our gyoza or dinner at all! The town was nice. A little rusty looking! Ha ha ha! But nice. And the gyoza was delicious by the way! : )