Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Thanksgiving 2018...

I snapped this picture quickly on my phone November 1st. The sign said, "If it's not Stove Top, it's not Thanksgiving." The day I took this pic, I ran to the grocery store near Noah's school. Right before I went to pick him up, before school let out. I zipped in for another pack of taco shells, I was making tacos that night. And worried about not having enough taco shells. So picked up another pack of those and some coconut yogurts for breakfasts for me. And I was pleasantly surprised to see this sign. And tower of Thanksgiving helpers in a grocery store. It was a surprise. So much so, it took me off guard enough... to snap this picture and also it was deeply comforting seeing this at the same time. Again, I haven't been in my home country...for a full year yet. It'll be a year from April 2019. But, I think those of us... who have lived a great number of years in Japan. Over the years, we get used to *not* see Thanksgiving everywhere and anywhere. Do you know what I mean? Like in my tiny town of less than 5000 people in the town I lived in...in Japan. I was used to being the only American family in my town. And I pretty much... didn't alter or change myself because I lived in Japan. I still went to Costco and bought our Butterball turkey. And I still made Thanksgiving for my family. Because I was the only American person near our kids... and I wanted them to grow up learning both cultures. Japan and America. Was it sad... being the only person roasting a turkey on turkey day in my town in Japan? Honestly not at all. I knew I lived super far away from all my friends in Japan. And so, I kept it family. And made a Thanksgiving meal... every year for our family. After 16 years in Japan, I was so used to being the only family in our town celebrating Thanksgiving. I never saw my stores in the Japan inaka sell turkey stuff. And duh...it was Japan. A totally different culture. I accepted that. And was cool with it. Now that we're living here. And most everyone is American. I no longer need to be sole ambassador of American culture to my kids. Does that make sense? And there was turkey talk... all November. There was Thanksgiving mentions at Target...at every grocery store. It was a little surprising yes, but in a good way. All November, as I'd make grocery runs. It felt so cool, to see families with great big turkeys in their shopping carts. After a while...it just brought a smile to my face. That wow...I am living among like minded people. It's deeply comforting. It's amazing. I love it! My kids were with me at the store many of the times too. And my kids were like...look they're buying a turkey. Of course we were quiet and stuff about it. Or we'd nod our heads like...look! look! LOL. So yeah...the feeling of Thanksgiving living in the United States? Omg, it feels amazing. My kids school, the day before Thanksgiving. That Wednesday, all grades and schools in our school district... let out at 10:50am. Wednesday. Why? Because of Thanksgiving of course! Teachers need to prepare and bake pies and prepare too for their homes. : ) And spend time with family. And of course no school on Thanksgiving and of course no school on Black Friday. So the kids had no school from 10:50am Wednesday and did not return until this Monday. LOL. It made me laugh... because yes...that's how important a holiday it is to Americans. And that is how I grew up too. And while in Japan, my kids had to go to school on Thanksgiving. Because rightfully so...it's not a holiday there. This year...first time in their lives...they were on a "real" American school schedule for Thanksgiving week. And they were surprised. And enjoyed their time off. 

We bought our turkey on Sunday, and defrosted it in the fridge from Sunday. It was 18.30 pounds. 

A Butterball of course. 

Thursday morning, I rinsed the turkey early. And made a herb butter seasoning rub and I rubbed the turkey under the skin and on top of the skin. And wrapped him up, in tin foil. 

Cool Whip was 89 cents a tub. We used 2 for the pies and 1 for hot cocoa. The other is in the freezer.

I made fruit salad. With being in Japan and having no access to Cool Whip, I didn't make this in 16 years. This year, I made it. 

It was delicious.

Such a nicely seasoned, juicy and crispy skinned turkey. 

Mashed potatoes. Crescent rolls for days. 

I wanted to buy Thanksgiving plates. Because cute and easier on the cleanup. However...I apparently waited too long to buy them. They were sold out everywhere. @_@ So...lesson learned. However the food was delicious. And we finished the turkey on Saturday. By that time we were dead sick of the turkey. 

They always run American classics on Thanksgiving. From the morning. The kids and I watched The Godfather 1, 2 and 3. LOL. Yes, we did, just keeping it real. The kids loved it. Those movies are long! And in the evening, They had another American classic. The Wizard of Oz. We enjoyed some pumpkin pie while watching this. 

I bought the pie crust from Marie calendar's at the grocery store this year. Only because they were just $2 bucks. For 2 crusts. And since I have no pie pans here and rolling pin. I thought...ehhh. For this year...why not. Target had zero pie pans. Near me. My Safeway store had them, but for $6 bucks each? No way. Outrageous. I did however make the pie filling myself as always. 

Every grocery store around here was closed for Thanksgiving. Because workers need to spend time with their family on this important holiday. So, I made sure I had sandwich stuff for leftover turkey sandwiches, beforehand.

Another weird fact. When I was growing up in America, I loved any loaf of bread. I loved Wonder Bread. Safeway brand. Any brand, was fine. And then I move to Japan. And was really used to the delicious Japanese bakery bread. And then I move back here and am shocked that most breads here taste strongly of chemicals. Was it always like this and I just never realized or did the recipes change? @_@ I have tried like 12 different brands. My old favorites growing up, I tried them all again. They all taste like chemicals. I finally found this brand and it says no chemicals or anything. Anyways...I like this bread. Is it as good as my favorite Japanese baker bread? No. But it's pretty good. So this is what we'll use for now. Anyway, I hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving, if you celebrate it. : )