Thursday, February 04, 2010

A Costco run, the cutest oni you ever did see! And sadly to say, a funeral.

So much to say, so much to say. I'll start first by filling in some bits from last weekend. Let's see, last Friday, Noboru and 2 of his male coworkers went fishing. It was at a spot near Makuhari someplace. They did catch some fish. But since the hubby would be in the area, he offered to run into Costco for me on his way home. Feeling pretty happy about that. So, he got the few things that were on the list. Here is the tiramisu, plain dinner rolls and big bag of cheese.
And Noboru also brought home pizza for Friday's dinner as well. Right on, glad he called me during the day about it, so I didn't start prepping dinner.
Meanwhile he caught the fish he had been wanting to catch. And we did cook them up. Well he cooked them up and I watched while the pizza was heating in the oven. Don't these fish have the pointiest faces? Almost like needle faces, lol! ; )
This cheese pizza was perfect for last Friday night.
Last Saturday, I woke up bright and early to make Branden's obento. White rice, yakitori, fries, steamed broccoli and a teeny tiny slice of pizza, 2 jelly's and a cookie. And I put lots of ice in B's thermos and he took that with some tea. Once he got off from school on Saturday. I was feeling quite relaxed. One day shortchanged of a weekend or not, I was going to enjoy every second of it. ; ) We watched our DVD's over the weekend. Hachi was so good. Sniffle sniffle. "Knowing" was good but the ending sorta blew big time!
Yup packed up all layers of said hamburger obento and boy did Branden say he enjoyed his lunch Saturday.
Anyone who's been reading this blog for sometime knows, I start shopping for Spring And Summer clothes late January/early Feb. As soon as they start coming in at Gap.com or Old Navy.com. Just a few bits here and there and by May, I'm usually set for the kids and myself. Anyway what's in this package.... I bought 3 dresses. Really cute ones. As soon as they got here, I ran upstairs and tried them on. Looked in the mirror and loved them! I washed them on the fast/quick cycle and hung them to dry outside and they are now in my closet awaiting for warmer weather. Also, placed a fairly large order for Branden last week as well, some shorts and shirts and whatnots, but it hasn't got here yet. I held off on Noah because I wanna go up in the attic and see what he has inherited from B first. I don't wanna buy something if he already has it. And I know B has lots of the good stuff like Ralph Lauren and Gap and stuff in the attic awaiting Noah, so I wanna see first what's there for Noah before ordering. So basically in a nut shell have been lightly doing shopping for the Spring/Summer month's in bits. Same as every year though.
Saturday, I washed Noah's uniforms and hung them outside. His vests, jackets and stuff, the stuff that shouldn't be in a dryer basically. The white dress shirts dried in the dryer and stuff.
Monday morning. Branden and I sent Noah off to school together and then I suggested Coco's but Branden really wanted to go to Mc D's instead. And I said okay. So we went to Mc D's and got some stuff to go.
1 egg McMuffin for me. 1 sausage McMuffin for the hubby and 2 sausage McMuffin's for B. Hey he's a growing boy. ; ) We had hash browns at home and we toasted them in the toaster oven. We watched TV for a while and ate. I then cleaned the house. And he enjoyed his day off school.
Before we picked up Noah at yochien together Monday afternoon. Branden and I ran to the Daiso first. We went because Branden needed disposable chopsticks for an art project for school. And I recalled seeing some cupcake liners at the 100 yen that I wanted to get a better look at. And after looking at them, I loved them and bought some. It's funny, when I first moved to Japan, I always had a hard time finding cupcake liners, had to lug them back from the US. Didn't much matter since they're so small but it's nice knowing they're available here now. One less thing to lug back.
Monday, it was on the news that Chiba would be hit by snow the next day. I asked my girlfriend at the yochien, "did you hear it's going to snow tomorrow too?" And she said yes. Chiba rarely rarely ever gets snow though the temps get low enough. Tuesday morning, woke up to snow! Picture of part of our backyard.
Another pic of the snow. I made sure to drive very slowly Tuesday morning taking both of the boys to school. Black ice patches. It was a cold morning.
After school Tuesday, Noah helped me bake some cupcakes. I think you can see some snow in the back window. Funny for the most part when it snows in Chiba it melts by 9am or 10am at the latest. ; ) But Tuesday though most parts indeed did melt, some parts did not. Like the snow through the back window in this pic.
My cupcake pan came from the US. And the liners come from Daiso, and they fit, so they are regular size cupcake liners. Am loving the cupcake liners this week quite a bit. LOL. ; )
Yellow cupcakes with Nutella. We munched these Tuesday night after supper.
See most of the snow melted. I think you can see a snowball on the right side of this picture on one of the steps. The kids were chasing each other like crazy, whacked each other with a few snowballs. They had so much fun out there.
Hi boys! Boy did you guys have a blast!
Wednesday, I went to do my weekly shopping and picked up my whole chicken. It was waiting in the back for me. Yay! Got everything on my list that we'd need for the week. Packed up the car and I headed home. Vacuumed. Folded a load of laundry. And enjoyed the rest of my day with a DVD and a soft fluffy pillow and my fleecy couch blanket. Went and picked up the kids when it was time. After the kids got home, I cleaned and seasoned the chicken before whacking him into the oven. It really was a great day, not a whole bunch going on. But still feeling productive too.
That is the cutest oni I ever saw. I thought Noah did a very good job making that oni that sits on top of his head. He glued and crayoned his little heart out! Well done kiddo!!! The kids enjoyed setsubun festivities at the school this week. I think I explained it and linked it last year so I won't link it this year, I'll link it next year though again, lol.
Couldn't quite figure out which picture I liked best. ; )
You're such a sweet boy! ; )
A beautiful chicken was had Wednesday night. Crispy skin and juicy chicken.
I stir fried some fresh spinach as well.
Still bright green and turned it off right away.
Hmmm this spinach looks darker in this pic, yet it was really a nice vibrant green in real life. Shucks! Anyway, a simple dinner. roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy and some spinach lightly stir fried with some butter salt and black pepper.
Thursday, it snowed yet again however it was just a light dusting of snow. Very very light but snow it did. Yup, Chiba has been quite cold lately!

So, how would I sum up last weekend and this week? Quiet, nice, and lovely, not a whole bunch going on granted but isn't that sorta nice though. ; )
And then (yesterday) Thursday......our telephone rings, the boys were at school, it was still morning. Noboru and I were each enjoying a cup of coffee and a chat as we watched the news. The telephone rang and it was his brother calling him to say their uncle passed away. So, Noboru's uncle passed away. Noboru's father's brother. Noboru's dad is 62 and he's the oldest, so we're guessing his uncle was about 59 years old? By all accounts sort of young. His uncle was a very kind man, very soft spoken and always smiling. He and his wife were our witnesses for our great big wedding we had in Osaka when we got married, so they were very awesome to us.

Noboru and Jun are driving down to Osaka together tonight. Jun's wife (Satoe-chan) and Mia will stay in Narita and the boys and I are staying in Chiba as well. We will not be attending. But Noboru and Jun need to be there of course. So many calls back and forth from Osaka to and from our house yesterday. Anyway it's all really sad and sudden. Noboru and Jun are taking off and will be driving to Osaka tonight, around 11pm. The funeral is, tomorrow, Saturday at 10am. We were called last evening about the time and place. Noboru and Jun will go and pay their respects and grieve as they loved their uncle very much. And then they will drive directly back to Chiba. Should be back late Saturday /early Sunday morning around midnight so techincally Sunday.
Anyway, changing the subject now because I don't really want to leave a post on a sad note. Give me a minute to think of random tidbit here. Okay, I thought of something. I rented 3 of our February DVD's already, still have yet to think of the 4th one but will go to Tsutaya discas this afternoon if I have some free time and find our 4th one for the month. But so far I picked. My Sister's Keeper, with Cameron Diaz. This looks like a good movie. The Proposal with Sandra Bullock, this one looks funny. And the last one I chose was the remake of Ice Castles. I'm wondering if it'll be as good as the orginal. So I'm curious. Also, anyone remember the song or theme from Ice Castles? ; ) The Proposal doesn't come out until Feb17th and My Sister's Keeper doesn't come out until Feb19th (these two will probably be sent out together), and Ice Castles doesn't come out until Feb 24th, so I imagine the first two won't even get here until the 19th or 20th. So, we have a bit of a wait until the movies get shipped to us, which is fine.
What else...American Idol starts this weekend for us in Japan, I can't wait to watch that. I'm wondering how the show will flow without Paula Abdul. I really like Ellen so I can't wait to see what she's like on the show. And I am looking forward to all the guest judges beforehand.
Oh yeah, Kramer vs. Kramer has been on satellite a few times, and I caught that the last time it was on (I'm pretty sure everyone's seen it, but in case you haven't and if you're worried about a spoiler you may not wanna read ahead). You know, that really is a good movie. Watching the whole dynamics of how the father copes after the mother walks out on him and their son. From not knowing what to do, to watching Dustin Hoffman becoming this great amazing dad at the end. And then the mother returning. Anyway I know it's an old movie but it really is a good movie. Have still been watching Cold Case. MTV Cribs, sorry but I love that show. ; ) Just a whole hodge podge of stuff we've been watching. Especially since it's been so cold and we've been staying home and indoors.
Have a lovely weekend all of you, stay warm! I will be enjoying my weekend with the boys, though my thoughts will be in Osaka with my husband and his family. Hoping the hubby and his brother have safe travels, And that they both get to say their proper good-byes and get back to us safe.