This was the pic, I snapped as we were getting so close to Seattle Washington! No direct flights from Japan to Denver, which is why we always have to fly to the mainland someplace first and then onward to Denver! Ha ha ha. The flight to Seattle was a smooth one! Both the boys honestly were angels. They behaved so well. Branden watched, Kung Fu Panda on his own mini screen in front of his seat. And he also watched a few other kids movies as well. But he loved Kung Fu Panda. In between movie watching and DS game playing, he snoozed for a good long time and ate in bits. Noah meanwhile he watched the Kung Fu Panda on his mini TV screen in front of his own seat too and also watched the 2 Nickelodeon channels but when we got bored with that, he watched our own Mini DVD and watched Mr. Bean. And in between the movie watching he also snoozed, and rested. Noboru watched some Japanese anime on his Ipod. And I listened to music on my nano. Or slept. I also caught Kung Fu Panda and that movie rocks! I wish to buy it when it gets released. My legs weren't tired from sitting. Even though the flight was 8 hours long.
2 more hours until we landed in Washington. When we arrived. And we went through the plane to the airport, where you could feel the outside temps a bit on the jet way. It was cold! It was really chilly in Seattle that Saturday morning. However it was gorgeous! I love Seattle, it's an awesome city. I've only been there once. And to the airport a few times. But it always seems so beautiful! But brrr, was it chilly willy! : )
We had a couple hour layover in Seattle. From like 9am to like noon, we were in Seattle. And then we boarded our next flight and that took us to Denver!
The kids and I were zonked out to the world on that flight. we missed the drinks our pretzels they give during the flight the whole shebang, lol! Frankly, after an 8 hour and to and from Seattle. And a 2 hour layover. So that is 10 hours. And then the 2 hour flight. I just could not stay awake anymore. I was exhausted. Just dog tired. And I chose to sleep the whole flight over. Noboru was sitting across the aisle from me. Since the flight was not crowded. I was dead to the world. Until I heard the male flight attendant say to the female flight attendant. "They must have come off an international flight, the way they are sleeping so sound" Not quite sure how I heard that but it woke me up. I didn't reply to the attendant or say he was indeed correct. I think at that point I was just sleepy and a bit grumpy. Not too grumpy though just mostly tired. : ) It must have been at the last 10 minutes of the flight because next thing I know the pilot came over the intercom and said we'd be landing in Denver in like 10 minutes. Then the attendant said to put your tray tables away blah blah blah. But since I never had a drink or moved my table he meant everyone else but us, I think. Ha ha ha. I glanced out the window and I could see my city down below. I felt so happy I clicked this pic. It was sorta my private moment. I will admit my eyes teared up a bit, but they went back to normal after a minute. I was just so happy to finally be going home. I just couldn't help it. So that's okay. : ) Nobody knew though and I never told anyone I teared up. Who'd wanna admit they teared up at the thought of going home? I didn't. But yeah, I did. : )
Catching the airport train that shuttles you from concourse to concourse. I was surprised they changed the voice that speaks to you and tells you to board or which concourse is next etc.. It was originally a woman's voice and now it is a man's voice.
Alright, baggage areas are indeed the same the world over however I do love these baggage areas too. These are for skis and golf clubs. And Snow boards. There is a heck of a lot of skiing going on come winter time. We used to do our fair share. : )
Denver International airport. This is supposed to look like the Rocky Mountains. I think it does! : )
We hopped our rental car shuttle and got to pick our rental car. We chose this one. It's called the Emerald club for National car rental and you can pick any car in the lot. : )
Driving into the city from the airport. I glanced at the city skyline. It looked the same. Just gorgeous. We have this one building, some say it's a mail box some say it looks more like cash register. I could see the building shaped like the cash register in the distance. Even seeing things as simple as a familiar building put a smile on my face! We checked into the hotel right away. And from there we met my dad and my aunties, uncles and cousins at my head aunties house. And 2 of my best friends were there. We had a delicious meal with my family, stuffed shells, sausages, meatballs, salad and for dessert she made her amazing pistachio cake. We stayed for 2 hours. And then we had to leave just because we were just so drop dead tired. They are all pretty well travelled so they understood. We went back to our hotel and crashed dead asleep. I don't even think I showered, yikes! : )
Sunday morning. We went to my favorite Mexican restaurant in Denver for breakfast. I love Mexican food, just like 99% of the rest of Americans out there! And since living in Japan, it's hard to find decent Mexican food. So, I did indulge in everything I usually can't get in Japan. So, Sunday morning we were at this restaurant and I had myself the huevos rancheros. It was delicious. And I think my taste buds might have even fainted because they weren't used to eating something that good! Ha ha ha. : )
Good breakfast! : )
After an early breakfast we decided to do a bit of site seeing. Just to see what's new, what's the same and just to have a look around. ha ha ha. : ) Here's Coors Field. Our baseball stadium. It looked the same, still new and stunning looking.
Where the Colorado Rockies play their home baseball games here! : )
And of course no drive downtown can be complete without driving passed Sakura Square. It's funny this was my husbands home away from home for *so* many years! This is the Japanese complex. The first floor has a very nice sized grocery store. Where Noboru used to buy his rice, and his curry, and stew mixes, and Cook Do's and such. All the things he missed from home/Japan. When he lived in Denver for the 15 plus years he lived there. Upstairs is a video rental shop, and book store. Where many Japanese exchange students can buy their over priced Non-No or other magazine, ha ha ha. I bought quite a few from there myself. Barber shop, in case you'd prefer get a haircut in Japanese. And it's a very nice little shopette and they even have a Japanese class for Japanese kids to take over the weekends if they want to try to stay bilingual. They also have a very nice Cherry Blossom festival every summer. Noboru and I used to go to this every summer before we had kids. And I think we took B to this once after he was born. But yeah, there is a nice Japanese American community in Denver and there is also a very nice Japanese from Japan/Japanese national type community too. Denver is a very awesome place and very diverse.
Various buildings, lol! : )
Loved the dancing art out front of the performing arts center downtown! Woulda been even better without the crane there, ha ha ha. But no worries! : )
State capitol off in the distance. Drats, wish I woulda got a better pic but oh well. : )
Just a couple of random shots of some houses. Americans sure do like their wreaths on their front doors huh, they are popular. I always like them too. Which is why I have one hanging on my door here in Japan. : )
Small house or big house, old house or new house doesn't matter, I do truly dig American houses. : ) : )
A bicycle built for two, did you say? Ha ha ha, that is how the song goes right? : ) Looks like a retired couple riding together through the park. On a fine Sunday morning! : )
So many lovely flowers and the landscaping is just beautiful as always. And many people out getting their morning exercises out of the way. Walking, bike riding. Playing tennis. And I even saw people preparing for a BBQ. : ) Did they show up that early to claim their favorite spot at the park? Ha ha ha. : )
Washington Park! : )
Performing Arts center! Wanna see the Nutcracker near Christmas time? Come here! : )
Elitch's Six Flag's! Yup, we are home to one of the Six Flags theme parks around the US.
And picture of random lady selling goodies along road! I usually like to stop at various places like this. Because I have tried some of the coolest and most delicisous things this way! Have also met some of the most friendliest people this way too!
I had something from a cart like this, once this trip. It was so so good! : ) With it being labor day weekend the Amusement park we had planned to go to, wasn't going to be open until noon. Which is why we had time to kill for the scenic drive we took that morning! : )