Monday, August 27, 2007

Over the hills and through the woods, to grandmother's house we go!!! Getting ready for our trip to Osaka! : )



Yup, we leave tonight. I've been slowly getting prepared for this trip in small bits and pieces since last week. Such as, last week, while I was at the grocery store, getting "normal dinner, type food" regular groceries, if you will. We also bought these snacks up above. Pretty self explanatory snack stuff really, ha ha ha but thought, it might be interesting for you in the states, that way you can see what sorta snacks we can get in Japan. So, in any case, just 1 bag of salted regular normal popcorn. Senbei (plain for the kids and black pepper for Noboru and I), 2 packs of those Snyder's garlic pretzel pieces, oh lordy are those delicious! Corn potage puffs. Sorta the consistency of cheese puffs or cheese doodles. But they are flavored with corn potage though. The one with the frog face on them, are not frog flavored snacks. Ha ha ha. Just in case any of my family or friends back home, were thinking that and fainting at their computer screens right now. They are actually puffs too, but flavored with tonkatsu sauce and seaweed. I don't even taste the seaweed actually. Those are pretty good. Ha ha. Mixed, roasted and salted nuts. Quite a few of those. And some plain biscuit type cookies, think Nilla wafer-esque or those teddy-grahams type things. No frosting. Just plain chocolate flavored or plain vanilla flavored. That's it for the snacks. I really doubt we will finish all these snacks going to Osaka. But they will be eaten for snacks while we are there, no doubt. : )


I bought the kids a few books and sticker books to keep them occupied during the drive, as well. Again, they might end up sleeping the whole way there. Knocking on wood about that. But again, good to have them, just in case. Plus if we stop along the way at a restaurant or rest stop, this could keep them busy. : )

I am also grateful to have the DVD player/TV in the car. Because the kids will enjoy watching the movies. And honestly so will I. I made sure to rent movies that were not new releases, that way we could keep them the full 7 days, even though we will be back way before then. The movies I got are, 1 Ultraman movie, The new Herbie movie with Lindsey Lohan )we have this one, but the US DVD and it won't play in our car, so we rented this. Spiderman 2 (I got this for myself because I haven't seen #2 yet), Cat in the Hat, with Mike Myers (again we have this one, but we have the US DVD, and again it won't play in the car, so good to rent this. Open Season, this movie looks great, none of us have ever seen it! Looking forward to this one! Elmo in Grouchland, this one is for Noah-chan, have seen it a billion times. Ha ha ha! Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, with Johnny Depp! The new Spongebob movie, again, we have this but not the Japanese DVD version, so the kids will like watching this one. And finally, I picked, the Coneheads! Hilarious old funny movie, with some old SNL comedic geniuses, ha ha ha. I love Dan and Jane, they crack me up! So, we will have plenty of movies to pass the time as well. And, I got them all for 50% off! They were having a special that I made good use of! Nine movies total. : )

What else, should I say. I am going to be making karaage. A whole heap of it actually. Here's why, I am making obento though. Because they do have many restaurants and good places to eat along the way. However, in Japan when you ride the highway, since it's toll roads, you can't really get off and on like if you were in the US. However they have actual rest areas, along the highway. Restrooms and small restaurants along the way as well. One I've seen before, was even a Mc Donald's and one was a KFC, many curry shops, ramen shops, and many conbini's, etc. However, Noboru doesn't get off work until midnight tonight and as soon as he gets home, we will be leaving. So we will be driving at night through Japan tonight. And many of the places along the way will be closed. Granted some are still open, but some will be closed. So, for just in case, that is why I am making some food to take along the way, for just in case. : )

This is what else I will be bringing. I will be making about 5 ham,lettuce and cheese sandwiches. 2 bags of chips for munching with those sandwiches. So that explains the ingredients for the sandwiches. They will be made around midnight by me before we take off, tonight. I am also bringing a travel pack of honey nut cheerios for Branden for morning cereal. I know I can find a cold carton of milk any place, so he is covered for breakfast. Noah will more then likely have miso soup and rice for his breakfast some place. 4 bananas. Fresh fruit for a journey, a definite good thing here, ha ha ha.: ) 2 iced teas that are sitting in the freezer, even as I type this out. An apple juice for B. 2 iced coffees for the hubster, he'll need them, for all the driving he will be doing. That's about it. Not too much. Just enough snacks to munch along the way, in case anyone gets hungry : )

Ugly, basic plastic boxes with matching lids is what will hold our food tonight, ha ha ha. One will have nothing but little sandwiches, cut and sliced up in little rows. And the other will have a heap of fried chicken/karaage and heaps of rice and steamed,buttered and salted broccoli. Think a typical obento lunch that I usually make, but super sized for a family of 4, lol! That should be enough food for us all. Crosses fingers about that! : ) But I'm sure we will be buying hot french fries and whatever else we find in the vending machines too though! : )

Kids and everyone else, are all packed up now, thanks to mom, here. I fit every one's stuff in 1 medium suitcase. We also are taking the stroller because we will need it for Universal Studios. What else? I am being a typical worry type mom, here, I worried, what if the kids get sick while in Osaka? I wouldn't have access to any meds, I have here at home in Chiba. So for just in case. I am bringing, a brand new bottle of fever reducer/pain reliever for age 2-11, so it's for both Noah and B if either should need it, though I doubt they will need it. They very rarely get sick. Cold and cough strips for the boys, again I highly doubt they'd get sick. Geeze they haven't been sick in like 5 month's. But again, better to be safe then sorry. Children's Pepto, again, I seriously doubt they'd catch a stomach bug, but again just in case. And a small bottle of Advil for myself, again I doubt I'd need them, but just in case. And a travel pack of Rolaids for myself just in case too. Nice to be on the safe side, you know. : ) Okay, I'm a nerd, I know it. But, it gives me piece of mind, to bring the emergency meds, just in case. But I do seriously doubt I'd even need them. I am also taking our health card just in case as well. Ha ha ha. I've got the summer blankies/towelkets and pillow cases in the dryer right now. So, I'm bringing the boys 2 summer blankets and 2 pillows.
Anyway, I better hurry up and post this so, I can get to cutting and frying up that fried chicken. And steaming the broccoli and get that karaage obento finished right away. I will miss you all. Catch up with all you guys when I get back. I'll be back in about 4 or 5 days. We already have the neighbors on "watching our house duty" (which means omiyage for them in return, ha ha ha) so, looks like we are all set. Now I will just wait for Noboru to get home at midnight tonight and then we will be taking off around 12:30 am. Okay, talk with you all when I get back! Osaka, here we come!!! : )