Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Lunch at the yochien! : )

Okay so the lunch at the school went pretty good. However it rained so the picnic plans were changed and we ended up all having lunch at the school. All of us mom's and kids all went up stairs and we were told to square dance with our kids. Only thing is, no one knew how to square dance and so everyone danced with their kid in a big circle. I had a lot of fun! It also gave me a good opportunity to chat with a couple of the other kids mom's whom have become friends of mine. One in particular is Aoi-kun's mom. His mom's name is Rie and she has been a pretty good friend of mine, since we moved to this new city and we starting going to this new yochien. She used to be a flight attendant for ANA. Interesting because another mom at my son's last school used to be a flight attendant too. Hmmm.

After the dancing, we all were told we could go off and pair up however we wanted and go eat lunch *anywhere* in the school that we wanted. I paired up with Rie and Kumi and a few other mom's that I know. We all put out our little plastic sheet things that people usually picnic on. And we all had lunch indoors. I made ham sandwiches and we had chips and I also brought some watermelon and some oolong tea. Nothing fantastic for our lunch but it was pretty yummy though! I even made extra. I made an extra sandwich and cut it in a few slices and shared with the other mom's. They loved it!

Also, the the week before the school sent home a note to all the parents that they were allowed to bring candy or chocolates or any type of snacks that are usually not allowed at Japanese schools during the picnic. However, they said the candy and chocolates and stuff had to be under 300 yen! They really were quite strict in their writing too all parents about the 300 yen limit! So, last week, I took Branden to a candy store and gave him *only* 300 yen. And he put like those 5 yen candies in the basket or 10 yen gums etc. Whatever he chose. And he went up to the counter and it came to 310 yen! So, since Noboru was worried about going over the 300 yen limit (the school imposed rule lol). We made Branden put one of the candy's back until it truly came to 300 yen. We were glad we all obeyed all the rules. But wouldn't you just know it, that I noticed at the lunch, that many of the kids had treats (like seriously and this is no exaggerating here! Like bags and sacks full of treats!) they must have cost a whole lot more then the 300 yen limit. Hmmm. I didn't mention anything. But I did wonder. After a while, I was thinking..."hmmm maybe I shoulda let him have that one extra tiny piece of candy after all!" : )