Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Costco and Joyful Honda in Chiba new town!







So today was pretty great. Busy but really good, because we got so much accomplished and out of the way. First stop was at the Joyful Honda in Chiba New town. This place is like 4 stories high, so for a DIY/homecenter, this place is huge! They even have a grocery store here. So basically this place is like Walmart Superstore or Target superstore with a grocery store in the same place! We only live 15-20 minutes tops from here, so it's cool. And the fact there is zero traffic congestion, which makes it even more awesome! They also have a Dotour coffee and KFC and Yoshinoya and a whole bunch of other eating places in there too as well as Mc Donald's and Hobson's ice-cream. We bought only 1 thing from here. We bought a humongous garbage can for outside. This is a 220 liter one and so when the inside trash gets full and it's a holiday and the trash won't be collected which is pretty typical for Japan, we won't have grody trash stuck in the house, we'll just chuck it outside and put it in the big trash can.

The actual closest grocery store nearest my house is pretty typically priced for Japan which means expensive, so I won't be shopping there. But I was surprised that Joyful Honda grocery store is as cheap as my old favorite grocery store, the maruei! They also have a huge American section and had a very large selection of Tyson chicken, and Tyson buffalo wings and Tyson fajitas. Their cheese selection was great and we all know I love cheese. They had sliced cheddar, mozzarella etc. And they even had flour tortillas and a huge selection of naans. Also and this was interesting, they had a huge selection of meats that were considered safe to eat by hallil (sp?) standards. This was pretty interesting to me. Frozen turkey's safe for or by hallil and a whole section of stuff. Many of those had markings that read: this meat slaughtered by a very sharp knife as according to Islam, etc. As, I'm pretty interested in other religions anyways, I found that this store had such a very diverse selection of food absolutely fascinating! I really like this store and it's huge! And as I've said they have a huge assortment of foreign or imported foods. Enormous American food section. I was just stunned! And yup, I checked the price of the big pork chops and they were the same price for 10 big sized ones! Yahoo! We also bought a welcome mat here too, sorry I just remembered.

So after we checked Joyful Honda in Chiba new town and got the giganto trash can for outside, we drove to Yachiyo and went to the local DIY there. We picked up our drawers for our walk- in closet for the master bedroom. They have had these super nice ones, that I have been coveting for quite some time. And we also got a brand new laundry basket. And a trash can. The trash can was tricky, because we needed a trash can with 3 sections because we need one for aluminum cans, the other for regular trash and the other one for plastic bottles. So since we didn't like the colors for the inside trash cans at Joyful Honda, we liked the one here and bought it. Also bought a small broom and dust pan.

We then went to Costco in Makuhari, I got laundry detergent (I have a whole new one, but I got one more to stock up), dish washing detergent for the dishwasher (I got a brand new liquid one but I wanted a new powder to compare and stock up too), we got a computer chair, and a 15 piece Italian pots and pans set (this was sorta expensive being about 14,000 yen but we really needed a nice set)

We also got a big pack of lean ground beef. And 2 cases of Kirkland cokes, a nice pack of kitchen towels, taco seasonings and taco shells. And crushed red hot pepper for using on pizza. I'm sure I left stuff out but that's the jist of it.

We are just trying to get the basics for our house. And get ourselves all set up!