Friday, October 21, 2016

Noah's 5th grade Sports Day...

Sunday, September 25th was Noah's 5th grade undokai (sports day) at his local elementary school. This picture is of all 6 grades, every kid our school has. 249 kids for the entire school population. Our other town elementary school has like...and I'm being serious...no joke..only like 38 kids all 6 grades. @_@ Hahaha. So yes, a super tiny town (a town with no yochien and only 1 hoikuen, 2 elementary schools and 1 JHS and no high school). I know I am a bit late posting this, but I'm a firm believer in...better late than never! : ) 

I see you Noah!!! : )

The whole school makes 1 lap so all of us parents can take pics. The running 1 lap is always a bit tricky because I know they go from the oldest to youngest. Clearly I know Noah's a 5th grader. But it's just they run by so fast, that it's like a blur. And so you don't want to snap your picture TOO early and yet...you don't want to snap it so late...that you catch your child's back of head! Versus their face. So...this is always the moment I am like...holy goodness! I hope I snap a picture of my child! And not the back of their head instead! : ) So, what I do is snap a "continuous shot" on my sports setting and it goes like clickclickclick. Again...it could still clickclickclick some other kid! And not my kid. But...all you can do is click and hope for the best afterwards! This was the best shot I took and it's a fairly good picture! Noah's looking right at my camera...I captured his face. I did check back after they ran past us...and I was happy to see Noah's smiling face in that shot! I was like...phew...relief! : ) I did it! : ) 

 5th grade countryside boys enjoying their sports day...

The nice thing about Noah being such an extremely western looking hafu is that he is *so* easy to find on the field. We can find him immediately! In a sea of gorgeous little Japanese faces (I married a Japanese man so of course, I find their faces gorgeous). You see this one very western looking little boy and we instantly know...oh there's Noah! LOL. Easiest time *ever* finding our son on the field! : )

This was a fun one to watch! Go Noah!

Noah running. Officials smiling.

About to run in another race. Noah is really super fast. And he used to win races all the time. But I don't know what it is. When he was in the 3rd grade...Noah told me. "Mama, I'm not into running anymore"...And he's never really liked it ever since. Why? How come? I don't know. But...he's not into running anymore. Go figure. And that's okay. : )

On your mark...get set...

Serious intense running face right there! LOL. : )

Run kids run!

The big pants relay! Noah's running partner. She was cheering. She had a lot to say too.

Then Noah.. too had a lot to say. And they chit chatted. 

Then he realized... I had my camera on him and he smiled for me. And she was looking around and around then got to chit chatting with Noah again.

Okay there's Noah's serious...on your mark.. get set... go... face again! : )

Run Noah-chan! And awww, there's cutie pie Lily-chan back there smiling away and cheering for Noah! Because they're on the same team and also because they're superly good buddies. They are real good friends, Noah and her. She is so cute you guys! Like she's seriously *so* cute! : )

Good luck Noah and his running partner!

Fast as grease lightning in some gigantic yellow shorts! The bright side is...that's Noah's favorite color! Go figure. Hahaha. : ) 

Who is Noah giving the best... most smiley smile to?  While his brother of course! Branden adores Noah! And vice versa. They're both so super close! And he took so many pics of Noah and so many videos of Noah running the races during his undokai. 
Noah being a 5th grader this year means he helped out the younger grades on certain events. This was a race for future 1st graders. And they each got a notebook and a pencil. And Noah and his classmates each had a set number to give out to the newcomers that will attend here... this coming April. : )  Proud of you Noah! You are such a kind helpful senpai! Just like Branden is! : )

And again...who is Noah giving great big smiles to? Branden! Noah is so lucky to have such a fantastic big brother like Branden! It's such a peace of mind... knowing how close they are and how well they get along. 

Lunch time! We made it! Let's eat! : ) And right on for our Star Wars Force Awakens plates!: ) We had the usual picnic stuff. Karaage (Japanese style fried chicken) rice balls, salad, super sweet seedless American grapes. Potato salad and macaroni salad. Some tamagoyaki and meatballs for Noboru. We also had lemonade. Frozen pouch drinks for the kids. Cake. To me...lunch time means...half way done. We have now completed undokai half way. We're half done. And now it's going to go quickly and before you know it...it'll be over. And we will have wrapped up one more of these! So definitely lunch time for me...is sort of like half time for me. : ) 

Our family was eating. Enjoying our meal. 

Sorry Noah...I didn't mean to catch you mid chew. Beautiful big eyes though! : ) 

After lunch, Mr. Gorgeous rested on the leisure sheet. And drank his slushy/ half frozen Qoo. 

Marching band time! It always amazes me, how all kids in Japan learn to play instruments from the 1st grade. Noah can play the pianica and recorder very well! And so can the rest of the school! They can also... all read sheet music! I love Japanese elementary school. : ) They learn so many things.

Go you, cool and groovy kids! You are all awesome!

Hi Noah! And hi little sweetheart on the left! Aww. : )


They played like 4-5 different songs. The Totoro theme song. The Mickey Mouse Club song. All sorts of songs. These kids all truly dazzled!

A first for Noah. The 5th graders had to go and run and pull this log from the opposing team. Am I the only mom worried about splinters? Hahaha! Sorry...not sure if this is...American momma/mama type worry I have. Or what! But seriously...I would hate for my kid to get a 2 inch splinter in his hand! Hahaha. Fwiw...to my knowledge nobody at our school... all Branden's years or Noah's years..nobody has ever got one...but it's still something that instantly goes into my mind on this event! : )

And 2 teams running for the same exact log! Very exciting to watch!
We went out to yakiniku to celebrate after Noah's Sports Day! : )