Thursday, June 13, 2013

Korean beauty products! Innisfree, Nature Republic, The Face Shop and Tony Moly


Korean skincare, as many of you probably know, has such a great reputation. Noboru, Branden, Noah and I went to Korea once, Noah was about 9 month’s old at the time or so. I blogged our trip on this blog. We had a great time. We tried food from street vendors, enjoyed yakiniku. We shopped, I bought an amazing scarf, lol. However, sadly at the time, I wasn’t in the "know" at all about how great Korean skincare was, because I bought absolutely none while there and yes even now years later, I’m still kicking myself about it. : ) And yes with the online ordering era upon us, we can get just about anything beauty wise online. Anyway, I love skincare and makeup. And all girly things like that. I mean, I just can’t wait to get to Sephora. However, my skincare has always been pretty simple. I use DHC cleansing oil (used to use Shu Uemura before kids), Basis face wash. And I use Kiehl’s The Ultra facial moisturizer. Really simple. Anyway with getting ready to go to Hawaii. I started to think about skincare. And if I should just go and buy my old stand-by’s. A couple bottles of my usual face wash and a new Kiehl’s lotion. Or if I should try something new. Hmm, decisions, decisions. I did try some face wash from Sephora a few years back, it was a glycolic face wash from DDF. It was quite expensive, $30-ish something dollars US for it. And I found the product sorta meh! If I’m to be honest and the smell was really not my most favorite although it said fragrance free, I have to disagree because I didn’t care for the smell of it at all. Anyway, I was talking to a good friend of mine who lives in Hawaii, via Skype about 2 month’s ago, she is a dear friend from back in the day when we lived there. Anyway, she told me, that a couple of the skincare/beauty products lines from Korea are in Hawaii now. And that was like music to my ears! So, for the past month and a half, I have been searching YouTube, watching beauty hauls of Korean beauty products. Researching specific brands. Double checking reviews from makeupalley, where I’ve been a member forever! : ) And going back and forth trying to figure out what I'm interested in and also what I’m *not* interested in. The Face Shop store is in Guam at Micronesia mall (yay!!!), so if I do fall in love with their beauty stuff I can always repurchase easily there since I’m in Guam often. But, yeah I am wanting to check out the Face Shop while in Hawaii this time. There are a few items I am interested, but of course I want to smell them and figure out which one I’d like to buy.

I'm curious about this product from The Face Shop, but of course I want to see it first hand before I know if I really like it or not yet. They also have a lemon cleanser and acerola one too, that look interesting but of course seeing and smelling them first hand might change my mind also, so I am keeping that in mind too.
I'm also curious about this product also from The Face Shop too. I'm trying to decide if I want a manual exfoliator with actual granules or a chemical exfoliator. Ykwim.
Nature Republic is also in Hawaii, and I know their Aloe vera gel is quite famous if you see the videos on YouTube. But I'd like to check out their face masks. Because Korea is known for making fantastic skincare masks. So, I would like to check out the Face Shop and also Nature Republic for face masks also. : )
And last but not least, Tony Moly is also in Hawaii. And I know their apple peel is quite popular. But, I'm more interested and curious about the 2 products down below from Tony Moly. Again not sure if I'll even buy anything from there. But I do know I'll at least check it out though. : )
A lady who reviewed this stick on YouTube, made this sound pretty good. She said when you're tired, just rub it around your under eye area. And it made me think it would be great for a long flight or perfect for travel.  Boscia has something very similar to this but for a hefty price of $26 US according to sephora.com where as this is just a few dollars. I'm also interested in Boscia but the prices I'm not so crazy about. Where as stuff from Tony Moly, The Face Shop and Nature Republic seem quite affordable.
Tony Moly foot pack, that leaves you will shiny and new feet afterwards, I'm interested in this one too after seeing the videos on this one.
Innisfree, is also supposed to be pretty good. I read many fantatsic reviews about them online. Although it's not in Hawaii. However we are lucky in Japan, there is online ordering. And they had these great deals when I ordered. For 1,200 yen about $12 US. You can get the eye and lip makeup remover plus a bottle of the green apple cleansing oil. Or get the other duo, of cleansing oil and face wash. All in the green apple scent. I had read countless reviews on this and I really wanted to try this badly. So, I ordered this and within 2 days I received my items.
Very quick shipping from the Japanese website.
Nicely packaged inside, with catalog.
Three free samples. And thanks for the samples, because if I like it, yes I will buy a full sized, so yes I appreciate the samples. 1 is an oil control sunscreen. And the other 2 are whitening creams. And after living in Japan all these years, yes I could definitely be into whitening products. Though I'm pretty glow in the dark fair anyway, lol. But yeah I can be down with that. Plus it just fades any discoloration like sunspots or freckles. I don't have either, but I wouldn't turn down a brighter complexion. : )
Clearly I picked both sets. And like I said, on my top paragraph, I use cleansing oil anyway. And so, buying these 2 is fine because I double cleanse at night anyway. The cleansing oil smells amazing! I used it for the first time last night It melted my makeup right off my face instantly. Of course, you know, you need to use it on dry skin and with dry hands of course. And then after my makeup was off, I washed with the juicy apple deep cleansing foam far right. Again it smells divine. Very very lightly of green apple, not overpowering knock you down type scent. I have yet to try the eye makeup remover, because I wasn't wearing mascara yesterday. All, in all I'm pretty happy with my purchase.
The bottom line says, apple delight scent. They smell fantastic. It also says penetrates deep down into pores. So it's great for a person like me, who has combination skin. Not sure it would work for someone with dry skin. Could be too harsh. But, for me it feels great. Also it foams like crazy, and I enjoy a product that gives tons of foamy lather. : ) Especially with summer coming up, I like a deep down clean feeling on my face.
The products are very pretty and I smiled when I went to brush my teeth early this morning and saw them all lined up all cute near my sink upstairs. : )  Anyway....
I went and bought this yesterday at a drugstore near the bakery I go to. This was only 900 yen. The bigger name brand one was/is Baby Foot and it was 1600 yen. If I can save a few hundred yen I will, so I bought this one for 900 yen. I must say though that there was no twist tie for the booties. But, I just used a strip of tape to tie up the booties and put a pair of socks on afterwards like a girl/lady online in a video suggested to do,  it worked fine and it saved me 700 yen so I'm fine with the tape and pair of socks. If you absolutely need the special tie, then just get the Baby Foot brand. I watched TV while waiting for the 90 minutes and then washed my feet with soap and water afterwards upstairs. The video on YouTube about Baby Foot, was very helpful. She said you will see no difference for 3 or 4 days and then your feet start peeling like crazy and then you are left with smooth brand new feet like a baby's foot. lol. : ) I'm only on day 1 right now. So, we'll see. And for the record, I have nice feet, but I do like taking care of my feet though. : )

I'd also like to try the brand Skinfood. But since I'll probably be buying some stuff from Nature Republic, Tony Moly and the Face Shop, while in Hawaii, I am holding off with placing an order for Skinfood. Anyway, just thought a post on skincare and beauty products, might be a good or interesting read. : )  And I'm not saying, rush out and try it, I'm just saying simply, what I'm into these days. : )

Anyway tomorrow at 10am, I have my hair appointment at the salon. I'm getting another hair straightening treatment. The Japanese ionic thermal hair straightening thing. And a hair trim. Haven't been to the salon since March. I'm currently growing my hair out long again. And so just a trim.

The typhoon seems to be a no show today, as expected....yep it's not going to be coming our way afterall. And it's just going to be a rainy day today, here, minus the typhoon. Branden and Noah swim tonight. Alrighty, the treadmill is calling my name now, so to speak. : )