Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Things brought back from Guam this time.

Our trip was primarily focused on relaxation and fun, however given we were in Guam, and the fact good stores are there and plus Guam has no sales tax. We brought back a very small amount of things. Noboru went to Home Depot. It's his favorite store. I think he would love to stay in one for a whole day. He truly loves looking at each and every thing. So, what are these 2 things in this picture? Water sprinklers. Noboru really loved them, so he bought them for the backyard.
These can water the yard in 8 different patterns, he was the most excited about this. This must be a guy thing. Because I wasn't quite as dazzled but it made Noboru very happy, so I was happy it made him happy. That sounds corny but it's true.
The 8 different patterns.
A horse trough planter for the front porch banister, these are going to look gorgeous on the front porch next Spring. These will not be making their debut until next Spring though. : )
One for each side. Plus the hanging baskets we already have on the front porch... it's going to look even prettier next year, can't wait!
Guam cookies for the grandma next door and my teaching partner.
And a small bit of snacks and this and thats that could really help us out this coming Fall.
Yep, that's what all the signs in Guam say...."where America's day begins" : )
Wish wheat wasn't so hard to find or three times the price of regular cheap white bread here in Japan. But, it is what it is. And so....I do try to bring back some bread each visit. 2 loaves of wheat and one sandwich bread of white slices versus that thicker type Texas toast we get for bread here in Japan. Not complaining but...it sure is nice to get some regular bread once in a while. : )
You know regular normal groceries can be bought here in Japan obviously : ) and that's what we do. Meats, veg, grains for the most part obviously.; ) Fruit. But it's sometimes the little things like the snacks that a person can have trouble finding here, I mean unless I were to drive all the way to Costco. Which that's too far plus considering the toll highway fee I'd have to pay. So, it was nice to buy these chips. Maybe one afternoon on a Saturday if the boys are having a sandwich and some corn potage soup, they can also pop open a small bag of these chips and enjoy with them.
For the most part, we eat pancake cereal available here in Japan that we also really like. But heck if given the chance to be able to bring some back, you betcha. I see so many Japanese tourists with boxes of cereal in their carts while shopping, you'd be surprised. Also with beef jerky too and various other things. And one lady had a couple packs of the Spongebob gummy candies in her cart like around 5 packs of them. : ) So we are all stocking up in there, which is nice I'm not doing it all by myself. What did the boys pick? Just these 3 boxes of cereal. All peanut butter based. The Peanut Butter Cap N crunch is my fave. And the boys wanted to try the choco and peanut butter Reese's type which sound good to me too. Again we're not going to open it up until September 1st and open 1 box at a time so it lasts. : ) Just sort of save it for a while. And enjoy it when the weather gets a bit cooler.
Stuff from Cost U Less. Crunchy granola bars on the left. Then the fruit and nut granola bars and the teddy grahams. I should have bought 2 boxes of the Teddy Grahams, now I'm kicking myself for not. : )
Cheez-It were $2 cheaper then the Goldfish we usually buy. And my boys love both so I picked these up, because a $2 savings is still a $2 savings. And more popcorn for movie night. We still have that case of popcorn we brought back last month unopened yet too.
Chocolate pudding cups again to tuck away until Fall really gets in more of a full swing.
Yellow Oreos with chocolate frosting. And minty chocolate cookies. Again these will be good come October or November when it gets super chilly outside. Until then...if we want any cookies we'll enjoy the last of the Summer choco banana flavor available here in Japan, since they're so good. But will be looking forward to puling these out in a month or so.
Thinking about Thanksgiving in November and the pumkpin pies we'll be looking forward to eating so we had to get enough for 2 pies. Again with living in Japan, sometimes I have to stock up when I can. This way if by some freak accident that Guam suddenly had no pumpkin filling closer towards Thanksgiving (wouldn't happen) but I'm just saying...at least I'd be okay. And 2 packs of raisins for the boys. And the Carnation evaporated milk cans, 1 can needed for each of the pies. Again thinking ahead for the holidays, just something I'm sort of used to, with living overseas. : )
Again these might come in handy for family movie night in mid fall. Sometimes living overseas, stocking up a bit just has to be done.
These Hormel complete dinners. You know, after the earthquake in March and when Noboru sent us to Guam before all the dangerous stuff happened and the reactor blew up or leaked and steam puffed out and whatnot. Anyway while we were in Guam in the aftermath... so many Japanese tourists were stocking up on these, I did not mention it at the time but it's true. I mean like putting 20 in their carts at a time type stocking up, probably because they were concerned and worried about the food availablity issue as were many of us. We didn't buy any of these at the time, but if memory serves I brought back a case of chicken cup of noodle? I forget. Anyway getting off track here sorry. I think I was just too much in shock back then. I also saw one*lady with many loaves of bread (could have been 8 loaves) bringing it back to Japan when we were coming back to Japan sitting at the gate same flight as us she was carrying it in a semi-transparent grocery bag to bring on the plane as her carry-on... this was of course after the quake and it was safer to come back. And a man holding as his carry-on a Coleman camping light. I saw many things but I never mentioned those at the time. : ( But anyway...every time, we see people getting these Hormel meals. Even last month tourists were getting more of these. And this time too, they're always in a spot everyone notices them. And again, 2 weeks ago, more people were putting many many in their carts. Tourists speaking Japanese with little kids. Obviously on vacation types like us. Noboru finally said..you know what...we've never had/tried these, get 3 and let's see what they taste like. They are not freezer meals they are safe for on the shelf. If we like them, we'll end up buying a dozen and hiding these in our emergency kit. Hope we will never have to use our emergency kit. Anyway... they also had roast beef dinner with mashed potatoes and other things. Picked up dry mustard for homemade mac and cheese and garlic spread for garlic toast. And roasted chicken seasoning.
Enough for a full Fall and Winter amount of roasted chicken.
Garlic, rosemary, sea salt, onion and more. Yumm.
Generic store brand Irish cream for winter coffees. Still have that caramel machiatto creamer I've been hiding in the food pantry since July when we were in Honolulu. And chocolate frosting for cake baking season.
You know, I am really wishy washy when it comes to deodorant. I really am and I'll be the first to admit it. No brand loyalty whatsoever when it comes to deodorant. Although I am quite fond of Dove. Anyway, My mom is brand loyal to Mitchum, lady's Mitchum. I've tried it and it's not all the labels says to me. Sorry mom. : ) Living in Denver no deodorant has ever konked out on me...not ever!!!! Now living in Japan, I'll tell you I've had a few konk out on me. Sure it does depend on how active I am and such. And I'm not even an overly sweaty person at all. So, for me, I go from brand to brand, never really "loving" one. I've also tried a few other Secret different formulas that I wasn't crazy about either. To be fair that has to be said. And Suave deodorants don't work for me at all. Though I love Suave body washes, lotions etc. Dove works best on me, but again sometimes fails me if it is Summer..... though never fails me in Fall.. Winter or Spring no matter how active I am. So, last month while we were there, I bought 3 different kinds. Again going from brand to brand not really expecting all too much or getting my hopes too high. So, on the morning I was set to teach.... I looked at the 3 deodorants and I said, to myself, I have to work at a hoikuen today. I will be jumping up and down, running round and round for 2 full hours straight, so which deodorant should I push to the limits today? I honestly thought it would fail no matter what. So, I used the Secret Natural Mineral deodorant or whatever it's called. So I applied and got dressed and left the house and to the hoikuen I went. Jumped, played ran all over and 2 full hours later went home. I didn't sweat and the deodorant did NOT konk out at all. And that was August 9th one of the most hottest days, it was like 99-100 degrees F. And I was upstairs obviously heat rises and I was running on a 2nd floor in that extreme heat, wearing work clothes meaning slacks and a top and that deodorant kicked butt! I was so impressed and have since worn it daily and even now, it's still going strong and it's not even once konked out or failed me. I think for right now...I have a favorite deodorant. Not going to say I will be brand loyal forever and ever and ever till the day I die or anything, but I like it for right now and so...I bought 2 extra ones of it. When the Fall hits and it's chilly willy I'll wear the other ones, but I will definitely be rebuying the Secret Natural Mineral one. And the scent of deodorants always get me, I'm really sensitive to scents/fragrances. This smells very light and clean, not too heavy or overly scented at all. Very fresh smelling.
A Transformers lunch bag. If we lived in the US and all the kids in elementary had lunch at 1 set time and place, like if it were in a big cafeteria and they could bring lunch from home, meaning a lunch I prepared.....sure I'd have bought 2 different lunch bags one for Branden and 1 for Noah. However in Japan, they eat school lunch daily but in their own classrooms....also no lunch from home, they eat school lunch. And very very rarely will need obento. And when the 1st graders go on ensoku/field trips for example the 4th graders are mostly likely not. Since they do things by class/grade here. So, odds are Noah would never need this on a day Branden would and vice versa. So only 1 was needed really. They had a choice of a few cool characters and they both agreed on the Transformers one.


Since they will be sharing this..I'll just write both of their names on it.... Branden and Noah + last name on the name part. So that way whoever needs it can bring it. : )
The newest Just dance...the Summer party one. This one has such good songs on this, the whole family loves having dance offs to this, lol. And I can't wait for the new Just dance that will come out mid October. : )
Gossip mags. When the boys are asleep. And if Noboru's at work, I'll have a cup of coffee and sit quietly and read a magazine.
Do you know who this is? I thought it was Cher at first...sorry Cher for thinking it was you! : ) I'll give you a hint..."You spin me right round, baby right round like a record, baby right round, round, round" The lead singer from Dead or Alive, Pete Burns! Yes it is, I was really surpsied.: ( Talk about a shocker!
Noboru wanted another water sprinkling kit maybe for the porch again or I am not sure. And he is thinking about putting underground water sprinklers in the backyard next year. It's something he is thinking very deeply about and wants to do. We also needed new numbers for our address on the front of house. We show our address on our house exactly how they do in the US, we've done that since we first built our home. And we also bought new knobs. A few knobs aren't as shiny as they used to be...while some are every bit as shiny and new as they started out with. However switching only half...just didn't sound good, then we'd have mismatched knobs in the house and that would be weird for us. So, we just bought new knobs for the house.
Bras. This ones a t shirt bra, not material like how the bedroom sheets are called t shirt material, these are not t shirt material at all...they say that because you will look great wearing it even if you are wearing something as thin as a tee shirt. Believe me I spoke to that bra lady forever the day I was there. It does give a very nice countour. I was glad I went into Macy's and bought 2 new bras.
And a Bali one. It's full coverage meaning not a demi or half cup. I'm very conservative and don't want half of my girls showing whatsoever at all. Cover the girls 100% thanks. : ) The tag said it had a U strap in back and non slip straps. This was so comfortable. And gave a very nice shape underneath my tops. Neither of these are minimizing bras and neither is a padded thick type bra either, just a nice conservative shape. I also got measured while there and I did that because with losing weight and getting fit, I needed to know my new proper size. And I was glad to get that done. Next time I go to Guam, I'm going to buy myself a whole bunch of Calvin Klein bras and DKNY bras. But this time, I got 2 super nice quality bras and they were like $38 US each bra but the whole department of ladies under garments were on sale, so in the end Noboru paid $14 for the Bali one and $16 for the Maidenform tee shirt bra.
2 bras, as soon as I came home...I washed them and hung dried them outside. : ) Now they're in rotation with my other bras.
Macy's is probably where we shop at the most while on Guam. They have very fair prices, huge variety and good quality.
With Fall coming up, I got a pair of capris. And also to be fair to me...the size of pants I wore last Fall, are far too big. Unwearable by me anymore. So, while I am not buying heaps of clothes. I am buying a few key pieces in my new size for Fall. So basically I am starting from scratch here. So yeah...a new pair of denim capris. These were orginally $69 US. Marked half. And marked down again and on the rack ....the rack said, 40-50% off, I forget what % it said but it was big. We paid $15 for these....I'm not kidding. $15 is all. And no sales tax and I needed them as I said, I am indeed starting from scratch here. And it is a good thing...I am happy I'm fit now and all. But the starting from scratch clothes wise is definitely different. : )
With living in Japan and being at the yochien, I see back pockets on jeans are not just plain. Backpockets can almost take up a life of their own. Patterns of stitching and everything. So, I liked the bling back pocket button.
Tailored fit...they really are a nice classy pair of capris. The fit on these were/are amazingly good. I like how they looked on and the material and quality very nice.
5 points of bling in this pic. With a simple black long sleeve and matching cardi or turtle neck and a nice pair of black flip flops (if it's still Indian Summer type weather) or ballet flats or my low top black converse and either hair long and down or in a high pony tail these are gonna look cute.
2 pair of Levis for Branden. Slowly getting prepared and trying my best at getting a good head start for when the weather turns cold!
I think the final on these was $22. Not $28...everything was "back to school" sales.
And the 3rd pair of jean for Branden, these ones are Guess. Three pair is a good head start at least for Branden.
Two pair of slim fit jeans for Noah in size 6. Again getting ready for Fall and Winter. Will also look through Branden's stuff we have in storage in the attic. And see what we find. : )
I cinched the waist this tiny and they were still baggy.
Levi's as it says...The Skinny. Apparently not enough for Noah though. : )
Noboru also picked up 2 remotes for the ceiling fans in Branden and also in Noah's room. And a 2 zone/area water sprinkler timer. That turns off and on automatically. He sets the time to start watering around 6am or around 8pm at night and it does it.
Grandpa/my dad, wanted to take the boys to the toy store.
Branden picked a Nerf gun and Noah picked a Transformers gun that makes "sounds only" and doesn't shoot anything but he loved it and wanted that. The little boys who live 2 houses down from us, they love toy guns and swords and the likes. And they often play with Branden and Noah. The older one is a 3rd grader and his little brother is 6-7 months younger then Noah so they are pretty similiar in age. But he'll be a year younger, grade wise then Noah. But they love playing with each other. They play pretend things with swords and toy guns so I imagine they'll be playing together quite soon. : ) That's really it....just a few things like roasted chicken seasoning and a few pumpkin pie fillings to stock up on before the Fall baking and cooking season starts. So not so much, but it's a great start at least. : )